Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Entwined!

Entwined. Say it, it rolls off the tongue in an alluring way. It's an intriguing word that makes me say, "What? Who's entwined? With who? With what?"

Well my friend Heather Dixon knows the answers. Check this out:



Entwined is Heather's debut novel and it's as awesome as she is. Here's the jacket blurb:

Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it’s taken away. All of it.

The Keeper understands. He’s trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation.

Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.

But there is a cost.

The Keeper likes to keep things.

Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.


Entwined is a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses and for me one of the best parts of this book was the characters themselves. Oh, and the magic, because who can live without magic? Not me.

Heather did a brilliant job of showing relationships between the characters. They weren't just people acting out a story, they were people living, loving, grieving, and struggling to understand WITH each other. Did I mention brilliant?

My favorite example of this is between Azalea and her father. They're both heart sore over Azalea's mother's death, but it takes the whole book before they realize and understand this in each other. I loved that Heather didn't rush this moment, but took her time to fully develop the reconciliation.

I really enjoyed this book. It is simply beautiful. So, run out and buy it and sink into its pages with thoughts of balls and dresses and family.

Enjoy!

Leisha

6 comments:

Jonene Ficklin said...

Oo, this book sounds yummy - I can't wait to read it!

Stacy Henrie said...

Love the title and the cover. Both are beautiful. Sounds like a great read!

Hermana Maw said...

Jonene, it was delicious!

Stacy, isn't it gorgeous! When I first got it I just ran my fingers over the cover and dreamed. Ahhhhh.

Julie Daines said...

Sounds like a wonderful book. I love fairy tale stories, especially with memorable characters!

Donea Lee said...

I recently read Jessica Day George's take on this fairy tale.

I'd love to read Heather's version. And the cover is just GORGEOUS!

Hermana Maw said...

Julie, fairy tales rock, and so do the characters in this version. :)

Donea, it's even prettier in person. And isn't it fun that we can read more than one version of these fairy tales?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails