Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fresh Peach Pie and Joining My High School Alumni Glee Squad

I made fresh peach pie last night. For some things there are words, really good ones, for others there aren't--except maybe yummmmmmmm. Peach pie is what dreams are made from. I know, I ate three pieces. Triple yummmmmmm. It may also be what diets are born from. I'll get back to you on that one.

I also know what breeds nightmares, because I had a real winner last night. In my dream I joined my high school's alumni glee squad. Just so you know, my high school doesn't have an alumni glee squad, probably for a very good reason, but that didn't stop me at two in the morning.

If you like the television show Glee, you wouldn't like this dream.



Why? We couldn't sing. We couldn't dance. We did a synchronized swimming luau musical. The only words I have for this are: What the freak? And: NIGHTMARE!

I told my hubby about it this morning, and he just stared at me for a minute. Then he said, "That is not cool."

See why I married him? He is a brilliant man and oh so right. Cool and a bunch of alumni (you really should read 'old people' here) dressed in swimming suits performing a synchronized swimming luau musical don't belong together. Ever. I Promise.

And even though I've donned a swimsuit in the middle of a crowded Costco, it was over jeans, and I didn't have to dance in it. Or swim up a waterfall while juggling flaming torches and singing in full voice. Those alumni glee squads are hard core. They even made us practice four hours every day so we'd be as synced as possible for our performance.

What does this have to do with writing? It's just proof that all ideas are not good ones. Sometimes we have to let an idea die, think of it as putting it out of its misery. And if any of you are out there thinking that a high school alumni glee club/synchronized swimming/musical/luau/torture group is a good thing, we need to talk.

7 comments:

Jonene Ficklin said...

Who knew peaches were hallucinogenic? It had to be a hallucination you had, not a nightmare. There were too many scary things all put together. But I'm glad you survived and lived to tell the tale!

Now, just to touch on the putting the bad ideas to rest - I recently read a book that had some crazy elements like your dream. I wondered how they'd pull it off - and they didn't. Even though stories need to have originality and excitement, they need to be believable.

Great advice - thanks!

Jenilyn Collings said...

I am seriously laughing so hard about this! Thank you for the laugh!

The Stanley's said...

I wonder if this is the story behind "James and the Giant Peach".

Strange things are becoming much clearer.

Hermana Maw said...

Jonene, peaches as hallucinogens. Hmmmm what an idea. And yes, I hate it when I'm reading a book and get jerked out of it by unbelievable things. Grrr.

Jenilyn, anytime my whacked mind can provide free entertainment, I'm a happy gal. :)

The Stanley's, I loved James and the Giant Peach--the book. Movie, not so much. But now I can picture it as a musical synchronized swimming event. Wow. I have even more messed up images in my head. Of course, that is pretty standard for me. Sigh. :)

Cherie said...

I would doubt that you really had this dream, but I know better, LOL.
Few minds could come up with something as... original as a synchronized swimming luau musical, performed by "old people" no less.
At least there was no seniors center involved, although now I am picturing wrinkled old people in this performance.

The Huffies said...

You and your dreams!!! You crack me up and the pie cracked me up since we just saw a movie involving pie - hmmmm...perhaps we should start calling you Two-Slice Leisha? Just kidding - peach pie is the bomb!

Julie Daines said...

Hilarious! I love dreams because even if you can't imagine it, you can still dream it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails