Tuesday, October 11, 2011

How To Tell If Your Day Is About To Turn Ugly

Let's just say you were looking forward to a calm Sunday with your family, a little sleeping in, a little church, a little day off from the cares of the world. Sounds good doesn't it?

I thought so, especially the sleeping in part--until Kid D woke me up Sunday morning with this, "Mom, there's water dripping from the ceiling. Inside!"

That, my friends, is how you know your day is about to head south. Fast.

There are some things you can sleep through and deal with later like: the sound of cartoons in the other room, the sound of kids getting their own cereal, or even Kid D saying, "The cat threw up on the floor." The last one makes you groan, but at least you know it's not going to get worse, the deed is done after all. But you can't sleep through water dripping from the ceiling because it is going to get worse. A lot worse. And because it is not supposed to rain inside.

And that rain should never come from the toilet.

Toilet rain is just ugly.

And it doesn't get any prettier when coming through your basement ceiling in bucketfuls after collecting on the main floor bathroom like some sewage-tinged wading pool.

Oh, and water isn't that much better when it sprays out of your main water shut off valve in addition to spilling from the toilet. Just saying.

Sigh, I guess you could just say we have an affinity for toilets. And water. So much for sleeping in.

13 comments:

The Huffies said...

I hope it got better...I have felt so bad for your water woes lately!

Jenilyn Collings said...

Ugh. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your day improves!

Hermana Maw said...

The Huffies, it did. After the rain stopped. Thanks for sharing my pain.

Jenilyn, it's much better now. I have to just shake my head and laugh. It's so much better than crying. :)

Nikki Mantyla said...

I thought waking up to the sound of puking, crying children was the worst, but you win! Not the greatest contest to win, though . . .

Maybe we should go back to commodes being outside. ;)

Jonene Ficklin said...

MORE water? I think you take the medal on water adventures this year. I'm wishing you boatloads of GOOD water experiences (like someone else doing the dishes, a hot bath with a good book, a great swim not in your basement or a cruise on an all-inclusive, sinfully indulgent Caribbean liner.)

Hermana Maw said...

Nikki, outside and downhill. Lol.

Jonene, that cruise sounds nice...but I'll probably have to settle for the hot bath. :)

Cherie said...

Love the "sewage tinged wading pool" imagery.
Nikki might have the right idea there.

Amie said...

Ouch! I'm with Jonene. Take a cruise or a long bath and just pretend real life doesn't exist.

Mary Gray said...

Oh, man. We had this happen at our last house--right by the front door. Had to repair the drywall, and let me tell you the patching and sanding and patching and resanding did wonders for our "home sweet home" appeal. So sorry this happened to you. It is awful.

Julie Daines said...

Leisha this is hilarious. It reminded me of the time my son came up from his basement bedroom and asked, "What does it mean if there's water all over my bedroom floor?"

It means new carpet, pipes, and wall.

When we asked how long it had been there, he said a few DAYS!!! GRR.

Hermana Maw said...

Cherie, ha ha! Glad you liked it. :)

Amie, oh, I am good at pretending real life doesn't exist. :)

Mary, by the front door? Ouch. So sorry.

Julie, days???? Days? Grrr indeed. So sorry!

Candice said...

Oh no! I hate mornings where the first emotion you feel is panic! Hope it turned out okay.

Irene B. Gardner said...

Leisha: I'm so grateful that you always have plenty of topics to write about. And the kids chipped in too. Terrific.

Since I live alone, hearing water running and dripping when I wake up does not bode well either. I didn't like it when the fish tank broke and the water went down the wall and into the heating vent. In a panic, I ran up and down the basement stairs about three times trying to figure out how to stop it--about had a heart attack! I finally found a big bucket, ran upstairs and dumped the last of the water with the fish and acquarium frogs into it. Threw some old towels on the carpet and stomped around on them for awhile, then collapsed on the couch. Whew.

Can you picture it? Do you have fish in a tank at your house? :D

Renie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails